Most Facebook fan page or Facebook page owners have put in an incredible amount of work to make their page look nice and attractive. However it’s up to the actual Facebook users to push the ‘like’ button so that this page will get the attention of other Facebook users.
What does it say for a Facebook user to press the Facebook ‘like’ button?
- ‘Liking’ a page means that this person likes (duh) the page of the brand or the person that made the page. So it is somewhat an expression of affinity. This would be the first step to expanding the relationship with the customer or the fan and a greater amount of interactivity. Some people will actually go as far as to buy likes for their Facebook page (likes kopen in Dutch, my mother language) but if you understand the nature of Facebook as explained below you will also understand that this may not be necessary.
- It means more people will be engaged with the Facebook page. According to Facebook users that press the like button are 2.4 times as active on Facebook as the average user and 5.3 times as likely follow links outside of Facebook.
- The viral nature of Facebook means that whenever a page places an update, picture or video this update is visible to the people that pressed the like button. More often than not, this update includes a part of the text or a preview of the picture or the video. This update will also be seen by the friends of the person that pressed the like button. Facebook tell us that an average Facebook user has about 130 friends. You can see how a great video might get noticed by an ever expanding group of people. In essence, a Facebook update may go ‘viral’. This means that more people will visit the Facebook page in question as well as visit the website from the update may have come.
- As in the example above, publicizing a great video or article on Facebook from your website may mean that more people will visit your website as well. Luckily for most (non-technical) website owners Facebook has made it very easy to install a like button on our website so that when people visit our website and find something they might want to share with their family and friends all they have to do is press that little blue button.
- Finally, getting a like on your Facebook page means that you can advertise more effectively because Facebook keeps track of everyone on Facebook. It (Facebook) knows who pressed the like button, what age they are, if they are in a relationship and many other interesting facts. This means that when you start to advertise on Facebook you will know exactly what type of people to target. This part of your Facebook page is called “Insights” and can be found in the page admin section.
As you can see, having likes on your page is crucial to its success and can mean the difference between a Facebook page that no one sees or page that goes viral. I hope you have enjoyed this article.
Written by Eva Hendriks of Facebook Pagina in the Netherlands.